Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Incomplete Recovery again (10g)
Incomplete Recovery again [message #348761] Wed, 17 September 2008 22:18 Go to next message
rkl1
Dear All,

The request is for all your expert suggestions, knowledge sharing on one of our test database on which we take daily full backup. Now some data error happened and we decided to take back the database to an earlier time like this:

RUN
2> {set until time 'Sep 15 2008 18:00:00';
3> restore database;
4> recover database;
5> }

and then we open the database with resetlogs since it was an incomplete recovery.

Now we found that, we did not get back our data (bad estimation) and we need to go back even further. As my understanding, the incarnation of database has been changed as seen under

list incarnation; (--which I don't understand well) so it is not possible to use the old backups.

Please suggest some plan how we can run the restore-recovery again and again on the current instance using the older backups.

Thanks.

Re: Incomplete Recovery again [message #348804 is a reply to message #348761] Thu, 18 September 2008 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
This should help you.
http://www.acs.ilstu.edu/docs/oracle/server.101/b10770/rcmsynta50.htm
http://www.acs.ilstu.edu/docs/Oracle/server.101/b10734/rcmrecov.htm#1011848
Re: Incomplete Recovery again [message #348808 is a reply to message #348761] Thu, 18 September 2008 00:14 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
To save myself from exactly this situation,
I always use different rman catalogs against the same database and keep them synched after every backup.
For example,
r_backup to backup, r_restore1,r_restore2 to restore and r_clone to clone/duplicate.
So, if i restore using r_restore1 and not happy with it, the original incarnation is still
maintained in other catalogs and just use one of them.
This is totally redundant as we can can easily reset the database
to previous incarnations. It is handy if you do multiple refreshes/duplications and maintain incarnation.
Previous Topic: RMAN recovery to DR with Roll-forward
Next Topic: Cloning a database - running into problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:43:44 CDT 2024