Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE Limitation
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE Limitation [message #35907] Tue, 23 October 2001 02:57 Go to next message
Amit
Hi All,
Can anybody help me out in solving the following problem :
" I am retriving the data by firing a query.Now I want to display all the columns by concatinating them using dbms_output.put_line, but the concatenation resulting in more then 255 charecters and here where the dbms_output.put_line is failing.Is there anyway in which we can exceed the limitation of package from 255 characters to anything else.Anyone Pls. suggest me how to overcome this problem and how can i display all the column using the same."
Thanx in advance..

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE Limitation [message #35912 is a reply to message #35907] Tue, 23 October 2001 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milan Kumar Barui
Hi Amit,
The thing is oracle has restricted it to 255 bytes, so you can not use dbms_output.put_line for this. I mean you can, if you understand the code of package body dbms_output, change 255 to 512 and change the bind host array in the program.
It's better not to change that package and instead of writing in one line put that string in two lines by using put_line two times.
third solution is to use UTL_FILE package for writing the output in a filr, for UTL_FILE you can write upto 1400 bytes in one line. So, it will solve your problem.
Thanks
Milan

Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE Limitation [message #35922 is a reply to message #35907] Wed, 24 October 2001 04:44 Go to previous message
Satish Shrikhande
set linesize=1000

Previous Topic: Re: Thanks,Orashark.But ??
Next Topic: Dynamic query execution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:37:46 CDT 2024