Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Implementation. (10g/Hp-unix/solaris10)
RMAN Implementation. [message #342923] Mon, 25 August 2008 09:50 Go to next message
liamadherne
Hello Everybody,

I have 8 Databases(10g) onto which I am supposed to Implement RMAN.
Total 8 DB size is 6.5 TB approx.

4 DB's are Hp/Unix based and 4 DB's are solaris based, catalog DB will be HPUX based.

I am trying to formulate RMAN in such a way, so that I will be having a seperate server which will act as a catalog DB for all the 8 databases.

What are the thing I should be taking care before proceeding for the plan.

Wll I be facing any challenges in the future if I would use a single server as a catalog for these 8 DB's.

Backup would be taken on DISK, and If I will connect the storage to the catalog DB as it would be the central repository , and all the storage will be mounted to the catalog server only then how could I specify the path for the RMAN backup sets.

Appreciate your suggestions and time spent on the replies.

Liam.
Re: RMAN Implementation. [message #342925 is a reply to message #342923] Mon, 25 August 2008 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Wll I be facing any challenges in the future if I would use a single server as a catalog for these 8 DB's.
Depends on what you call as "challenge".
I run 30+ databases using one RMAN datdabase / RMAN catalog.
Have not faced any problem yet w.r.to the functionality of RMAN.
>>Backup would be taken on DISK, and If I will connect the storage to the catalog DB as it would be the central repository , and all the storage will be mounted to the catalog server only then how could I specify the path for the RMAN backup sets.

Please rephrase. It is very confusing.
RMAN catalog will just store the information on backupsets. It will NOT STORE the backupsets itself.
RMAN backupsets are OS dependent. So, If your database is running on Solaris, make sure your disk filesystem is a compatible one(where ever you are writing it to).
Also, You do not want to invoke RMAN executable (to backup) from the catalog server.
Run RMAN in local database server and avoid network traffic and CPU contention in catalog server. Catalog should be used ONLY TO store information about RMAN backupsets.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 August 2008 10:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN Implementation. [message #342932 is a reply to message #342923] Mon, 25 August 2008 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
liamadherne
Hi Mahesh

Quote:
>>Backup would be taken on DISK, and If I will connect the storage to the catalog DB as it would be the central repository , and all the storage will be mounted to the catalog server only then how could I specify the path for the RMAN backup sets.

Please rephrase. It is very confusing.

I mean If we will connect the enough storage to the catalog DB, and configure the RMAN in such a way so that all the backup pieces in all the DB's will be stored on the catalog server storage and fom there it will written onto the tapes.

Will there be any challenges in doing so?

Thanks for your valuable suggestions!!
Liam
Re: RMAN Implementation. [message #342948 is a reply to message #342932] Mon, 25 August 2008 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>such a way so that all the backup pieces in all the DB's will be stored on the catalog server storage
Did you read my previous response?
You do not want to do that.
First,
RMAN catalog server will store the metadata (information about backupsets) only. It is not essential to store the actual backupsets.
Second,
execute RMAN from the database server and write to disk locally.
Doing this across the network (executing rman from catalog server and writing to a remote location) is just painful.
third,
You are using multiple OS.
I would rather use RMAN to write to a the similar filesystem, locally instead of putting it all together.
Re: RMAN Implementation. [message #342954 is a reply to message #342923] Mon, 25 August 2008 11:15 Go to previous message
liamadherne
Sounds good now.

I will invoke the RMAN from the DB server only and config the RMAN to take the backup pieces onto the local file system only....

Thanks a Lot for your time and suggestions Laughing
Previous Topic: RMAN Duplication of files found
Next Topic: RMAN BACK UP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:37:28 CDT 2024