Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » segment corruption--how to recover table?? (10g ,WIN xp)
segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:28 Go to next message
arunshrish
Hi all,
I have a small doubt,

** Pls consider a scenario where some segments in a tablespace get corrupted leading to the table getting in-accessible, with the database being in the NOARCHIVE mode and logical backups taken regularly.

** Is it possible to import the table from a dump and recover the table in this case or is it possible to repair the corruption?

** I thought of importing the table with destroy=y parameter is it possible?

Thanks,
Arun
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342768 is a reply to message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>** Is it possible to import the table from a dump and recover the table in this case or is it possible to repair the corruption?

It depends.
When did corruption occur?
When was corruption detected?
How far back are exports retained?
Are you willing to accept lose of any data since corruption occurred?

>** I thought of importing the table with destroy=y parameter is it possible?

Answer above.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 August 2008 00:35] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342770 is a reply to message #342768] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arunshrish
Hi Ana,
Well, this is just an imaginary scenario that i thinked of Smile , well suppose say after a full export, the corruption occurs, can we make use of the exported dump file and import?

Also say i am not willing to accept loss of data, what can be done?

Thanks,
Arun.
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342771 is a reply to message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Also say i am not willing to accept loss of data, what can be done?

OK, I would have prepared & had tested recovery procedures and executed these procedures.
No problems & all data was recovered.
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342779 is a reply to message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
An export is not a backup, you can't recover from an export, the only thing you can do is to restore the data that are in the dump file.

Regards
Michel
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342780 is a reply to message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lalitm_2003
Hi arunshrish,
Anacedent is correct.
If you are running in the database in Noarchivelog mode and have only the export dump then the recovery could not be possible to the point of failure.

Regards
Lalit
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342832 is a reply to message #342767] Mon, 25 August 2008 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arunshrish
Thanks Ana,Michel and Lalit.

@Michel
Quote:
An export is not a backup, you can't recover from an export, the only thing you can do is to restore the data that are in the dump file.

So Michel,does it mean that we can restore the table data and it is the least possible thing that we can do? Anyways should the destroy=y parameter be used while restoring table data by the method of import?

Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342843 is a reply to message #342832] Mon, 25 August 2008 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"destroy" parameter is for CREATE TABLESPACE statement, it has nothing to do with schema import.

You can nothing more that importing xhat's inside the dump file. Before import, drop or truncate the tables.

Regards
Michel
Re: segment corruption--how to recover table?? [message #342852 is a reply to message #342843] Mon, 25 August 2008 05:57 Go to previous message
arunshrish
ok Michel, Thank you very much for the reply..
Previous Topic: Help me with schema backup
Next Topic: sqlldr
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:39:04 CDT 2024