Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods?
How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods? [message #333356] Fri, 11 July 2008 06:40 Go to next message
grey.wombat
Hi,

I have a scenario where I want to back up the same database to two different media. In particular I want to back up to tape with a retention period of, say 30 days, but on occasion I'd like the same backup to go to disk. However disk is smaller so I'd like the retention period to be just a couple of days.

I have read through RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database but couldn't see how this can be done. So is it possible?

Also there are times when the tape media won't be available and so I'd like to take the backup on disk and copy it to tape. I know you can do a backup ... backupset but I don't know where this implies the disk backup set needs to hang around? TIA.

Wombat.
Confused
Re: How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods? [message #333369 is a reply to message #333356] Fri, 11 July 2008 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Backup with different retention periods is quite common.
I do it myself.
First use RMAN and backup to disk. Set your retention policy in RMAN for DISK.
Everyday backup the backupsets in disk to tape using your tool (Veritas netbackup/whatever). Set the retention policy in veritas for tape.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2008 07:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods? [message #333485 is a reply to message #333369] Fri, 11 July 2008 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grey.wombat
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are doing though I'm still a bit confused. If you set the retention policy for disk (which is less then veritas) what is stopping rman from deleting a later backup from veritas (i.e. one older than the retention policy for disk)?

Wombat.
Re: How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods? [message #333486 is a reply to message #333485] Fri, 11 July 2008 19:48 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> what is stopping rman from deleting a later backup from veritas
In this case RMAN does not talk to tape library directly, even cannot "see" the tapes.
RMAN will always write to disk. No MML involved and RMAN cannot see the tape. RMAN retention policies will now apply only for Disk.
Veritas will always pick the backupsets created by RMAN and write to tape. Retention policies are set in Veritas for tapes.
Alternatively,
Look into
BACKUP BACKUPSET
option.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2008 19:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Test backup/recovery
Next Topic: ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS required....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:27:09 CDT 2024