Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Test backup/recovery (Solaris 10, Database 10.2.0.2)
Test backup/recovery [message #333230] Thu, 10 July 2008 23:24 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Hi all!
First, wish best to you!
I am a DBA, as this position, I must plan for all backup/recovery strategies, of course, they are execution in Database testing. Suppose one of situation following:

1/ No such indispensable infrastructure available:
- All of backup are in the same machine of Database.
- No more tapes, no more disks apart from Box-disk external which contains the full backup weekly and Level1 backup daily. This box-disk can be taken from of DB’s machine away
2/ Operation, Database and RMAN’s strategy
- Operation: Solaris 10 - /u01
- Database: 10.2.0.2
Quote:

o Oracle_Home: /u02/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/CloneDB
o Oracle_Sid=db_name=service_name=DBTest
o Datafile: /u03/datafiles/*.dbf
o Control_file: /u03/controlfiles/*.ctl
o Spfile: /u03/spfile/spfileClone.ora
o Archive_log_file: /u03/archivelogfile/*.arc

- RMAN’s strategy: Recovery window of 2 days.
Quote:

o Backup by control_files (no catalog)
o Weekly Level 0 backup
o Daily Level 1 backup
o No flashback
o Archivelog backup with level 1 daily, delete input
o Backup include current controlfiles

3/ Testing:
- First, backup full database at Monday – Level 0, the backup files is located at /u03/backupfull/Level0*.bkp
- Second, backup Level 1 at Tuesday, the backup files is located at /u03/backupIncremental/Level1/Level1*.bkp
- Third, backup all of archive_log_files, the backup files is located at /u03/backuparchivelog/ArcBkp.arc, this step may be executed with level 1 internal backup_script
- Copy all of the backup files to the box-disk which managed by the other machine using Windows XP.
- Suppose all of backup files have total size is 40GB, actually, some database has big datafiles, may be 4TB, may be 400GB (if there are, nothing better than Tape, but this is simply situation)
- Stop listener to make sure no connection, no application can transfer datas to the Database.
- Take all internal disks out of the machine, take the others back (I can replace this step by deleting all of FileSystem, OracleFiles and re-install Solaris 10, but this is the test, and I just make closely)
- Re-install OS – Solaris 10, re-install Oracle 10.2.0 and Database, make sure
Quote:

o Oracle_Home: /u02/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/CloneDB
o Oracle_Sid=db_name=service_name=DBTest
o Datafiles: /u03/datafiles/*.dbf
o Control_files:/u03/controlfiles
o Spfile: /u03/spfile/spfileClone.ora
o Archive_Log_file: /u03/archivelogfile

- Start listener
- Put the backup files from box-disk to the machine’s disk
Quote:

o /u03/backupfull/Level0*.bkp
o /u03/backupIncremental/Level1*.bkp

- Shutdown Database
- Using RMAN:
Quote:

o Startup nomount
o Restore controlfile from the backup files
o Startup mount
o Restore the datafiles from the backup files
o Recovery database
o Open resetlogs.

There are steps I am going to write down and testing in next Monday, would you like to send your comment to me?

Thank you for your reply!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 July 2008 23:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Test backup/recovery [message #333266 is a reply to message #333230] Fri, 11 July 2008 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> 1/ No such indispensable infrastructure available:
What doe you mean by that?
Storing the backups in database server is not a good idea. But for a low volume/activity database
one can live with.
Having controlfiles,Archived logs and datafiles in same disk (/u03) is not a good idea.
Atleast write to different disks.
Writing backups again to /u03 is worse idea.
>> Copy all of the backup files to the box-disk which managed by the other machine using Windows XP
You are trying to copy solaris files to a windows machine.
For what? Is see no use here unless you will be performing some cross-platform migration
with the same endians. You need to apply extreme caution while copying/ftp'ing.
Re: Test backup/recovery [message #333271 is a reply to message #333266] Fri, 11 July 2008 01:42 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
First, Thank you for your comment!

Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 13:35
>>
What doe you mean by that?
Storing the backups in database server is not a good idea. But for a low volume/activity database
one can live with.
Having controlfiles,Archived logs and datafiles in same disk (/u03) is not a good idea.
Atleast write to different disks.
Writing backups again to /u03 is worse idea.

With my prod Database, one kind of file is located in one disk. But this is the test. Smile

Quote:

You are trying to copy solaris files to a windows machine.
For what? Is see no use here unless you will be performing some cross-platform migration with the same endians. You need to apply extreme caution while copying/ftp'ing.

Yeap! I'll try copy by ftp, and I have no migration_software. However, I've built a virtual machine which running as Solaris 10 in my Windows machine. This is the important step I must consider carefully. The copied file from Solaris, the destination files in Windows are my problem.

Previous Topic: Datafile recovery
Next Topic: How do do you backup with 2 different retention periods?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:52:46 CDT 2024