Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Performance Issue in exporting Tables in Oracle 10g to take Backup
Performance Issue in exporting Tables in Oracle 10g to take Backup [message #324299] Sun, 01 June 2008 18:39 Go to next message
raghu1040
Hi,
I have few tables... say around 15 Summarized tables in Oracle 10g. These tables are used by reports to fetch data. These tables are very huge, it contains around 25 million records per day, and the table contains a month data.... that means 30*25 million records. I have to take Backup of these tables and store as .dmp files in Linux folders. Right now I am using export and import utilities. And I am having only user privilege and not having any sysdba privilege. What ever the work that i do should be done only using user privilege... So does it becomes a performance issue if the table size is huge if I continue using export and import utilities. Is there any other better to perform this action...

Thanks,
Raghu...
Re: Performance Issue in exporting Tables in Oracle 10g to take Backup [message #324300 is a reply to message #324299] Sun, 01 June 2008 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I have to take Backup of these tables and store as .dmp files in Linux folders
Exported dumps are not real backups. Exp is a tool to move the data
logically. If the volume of data is high, it will take time.
I would equally worry about importing back the data (just in case, as it could take considerably more time to import).

>>Is there any other better to perform this action
Depends on the volume of data you are exporting/filesytem you are using.
You can use expdp instead of exp, set proper buffer/recordlength/direct options etc for Exp.
Again, dramatic improvement by using these options will depend on the volume of data.
please search before posting. This is been a frequently discussed topic.
http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Import_Export_FAQ#How_can_one_improve_Import.2F_Export_performance.3F
Re: Performance Issue in exporting Tables in Oracle 10g to take Backup [message #324307 is a reply to message #324299] Sun, 01 June 2008 23:02 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do you want/need to import the table?
If no, if it a real backup, use rman and baskup the tablespaces.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Import Parameter
Next Topic: EXTERNAL TABLES reading from application server NOT db server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 03:39:34 CDT 2024