Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » validate RMAN backup
validate RMAN backup [message #324079] Fri, 30 May 2008 12:07 Go to next message
simoh
Hi,

I really stuck and need help. I have been working on this for the last couple of weeks.
This is 9.2.0.5.0 RAC environment. RMAN is used to take the backup. The database is running fine and backup is taken using cron 3 times a week. There is no error messages generated when the backup is taken.

The backup script is divided into 2 scripts. One for a full backup and the other for archive log files:
==================================================
resync catalog;
report schema;
backup database;
delete noprompt obsolete;
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired archivelog all;
crosscheck backupset;
delete noprompt expired backupset;
list backupset summary;
==================================================
resync catalog;
backup archivelog all delete input;
================================

However, in the alert log file I noticed that there are corrupted blocks in the backup files. I tried to validate the backup using (restore database validate) but I ended up with erros. Then, I tried (validate backupset) to check the corruption and I am getting different errors. 2 of the backupsets says that the data file can not be verfied. 1 of the backupset throws ORA-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception

here is a snapshot of the file:
Tue May 27 09:05:14 2008
corrupt block 3424264 found during reading backup piece,file=/racdb1/orabackup/RACDB1_kcjhctb3_1_1.bkup, corr_type=-2
Reread of blocknum=3424264, file=/racdb1/orabackup/RACDB1_kcjhctb3_1_1.bkup, found same data

there are corrputed blocked up to 3424383.

I ran another script to combine the 2
======================================
resync catalog;
report schema;
backup database plus archivelog;
delete noprompt obsolete;
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired archivelog all;
crosscheck backupset;
delete noprompt expired backupset;
list backupset summary;
restore database validate;
======================================

and got the same error:

corrupt block 2678111 found during reading backup piece,file=/racdb1/orabackup/RACDB1_lbjhi623_1_1.bkup, corr_type=-2
Reread of blocknum=2678111, file=/racdb1/orabackup/RACDB1_lbjhi623_1_1.bkup, found same data

I checked individual backupsets and got the following errors for 2 backupsets only:

1)ora-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
2)ora-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception

does that mean the script is running fine and the problem is from the file system?

Please note that the filesystem that holds the backup uses SAMFS (veritas) to take the cashed data from the filesystem and transfer it to tapes. Also, i checked the v$database_block_corruption view and it doesnt have any data.

Thank you in advance
Re: validate RMAN backup [message #324081 is a reply to message #324079] Fri, 30 May 2008 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Are you using the autoextend on in database?
What is the size of the said backup piece?
What is your RMAN configuration? Any limits on the filesize?
Also certain filesystems may need the "largefile Option" to be turned on. Check with your sysadmin/storage admin.
Re: validate RMAN backup [message #324082 is a reply to message #324081] Fri, 30 May 2008 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simoh
Thank you for the kind reply

Are you using the autoextend on in database?
yes, some of the data files are autoextend

What is the size of the said backup piece?
What is your RMAN configuration? Any limits on the filesize?
RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/racdb1/orabackup/%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 4;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/racdb1/orabackup/%d_%U.bkup';
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/racdb1/orabackup/%d_%U.bkup';
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 3 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/racdb1/orabackup/%d_%U.bkup';
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 4 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/racdb1/orabackup/%d_%U.bkup';
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/dbs/snapcf_racdb1n2.f'; # default

Also certain filesystems may need the "largefile Option" to be turned on. Check with your sysadmin/storage admin.
i really cant answer this question. as far as i understood from the OS team, it is not really a file system. the data is cashed-using RMAN- to the logical file system /racdb1/orabackup then SAMFS will send the data to tapes. is there any command that i can use to verify that?

appreciate the help
Re: validate RMAN backup [message #324097 is a reply to message #324082] Fri, 30 May 2008 15:46 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> 2)ora-06510: PL/SQL: unhandled user-defined exception
Could be a known bug depending on OS. Check metalink.

Before that,
I would just check the size of backup piece created and see whether it is beyond some threshold. I have no idea how to do with SAMFS.
Alternatively, you can toy around RMAN config to create smaller sized backup piece and see if the issue is reproduced.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconc1.htm#458466
Previous Topic: Rman Backup with plus archivelog
Next Topic: how to backup huge DB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:13:44 CDT 2024