Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN - FRA or/and MML? (Oracle 10.2.0.3.0)
RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #321952] Wed, 21 May 2008 22:42 Go to next message
lotusdeva
We are planning on using EMC Networker for our backups (obviously with RMAN). Once I initiate database backup or restore via RMAN, Oracle will read an appropriate database file, create backup set and then pass it to NetWorker Oracle Module. Ok, I got that.

Oracle documentation states that target database should be run in ARCHIVELOG mode (in order to do point-in-time recoveries, for example). Archive logs can be either stored in ARCHIVELOG destination directories or Flash Recovery Area. If we decide to go with FRA and we use the EMC Networker, what would be happening exactly? Will Oracle create 2 channels - one for Networker and one for FRA and write there simultaneously? Does it make sense to have both FRA configured and Networker?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2008 22:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #321955 is a reply to message #321952] Wed, 21 May 2008 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>FRA or/and MML?
YES

Why do you bother to ask factless & philosophical questions rather than running benchmark test runs to obtain reproducible &
INDISPUTABLE answers that are true for your specific environment?

If you get answers which don't agree, will you just flip a coin to decide which "solution" to be implemented?

If one solution worked 100% reliably for all situations, why would any alternative ever be offered?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:03] by Moderator

Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #321963 is a reply to message #321955] Wed, 21 May 2008 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotusdeva
I am asking because I don't know. I think my question is not philosophical at all - can RMAN write to both MML and FRA at the same time or not. If so, does it makes sense to do that? Philosophical questions tend to address tendencies that people have been asking for ages - does God exist? Or why am I here? RMAN is a client utility for Oracle, doesn't get more practical then that.
Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #321964 is a reply to message #321952] Wed, 21 May 2008 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I am asking because I don't know.
So run tests against each configuration & select the best results!
We don't have your hardware.
We don't have your network.
We don't have your application.
We don't have your workload.
If you can not or will not answer your own question, why do you expect answers from others?
Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #321967 is a reply to message #321964] Wed, 21 May 2008 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotusdeva

That is exaclty what I intend to do once I know if it's possible/makes sense to have FRA with Networker. I need hardware, network, application and workload to answer this question? Sorry, but I dont see what is wrong with my question. I read the documentation, I set up target database for RMAN, I set up catalog database for recovery catalog. I have few more steps to take, what is wrong with me asking this question??????

Also, I totally disagree with you. This is my personal stand though - I would never start coding, configuring or setting up anything until I have a full grasp of what exaclty needs to happen.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:46]

Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #322096 is a reply to message #321952] Thu, 22 May 2008 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotusdeva
I am refrasing my question - what is 10'g recommended backup policy - backup to disk using FRA and then backup this area to tape using RMAN (Networker)? Does this make sense?
Re: RMAN - FRA or/and MML? [message #322098 is a reply to message #321952] Thu, 22 May 2008 08:54 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
How will an independent observer know when the 'correct' answer has been posted?

What is the correct answer for all those many, many system which were deployed before FRA was made an option?

What are the pros & cons of using FRA?

Compare & contrast FRA to 'normal' datafile tablespaces.
Previous Topic: how to pronounce 'RMAN'
Next Topic: recovering db from incrementally updated disk image
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 05:24:13 CDT 2024