Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Cloning database using RMAN
Cloning database using RMAN [message #319839] Tue, 13 May 2008 03:02 Go to next message
pokhraj_das

Hi,

I have my prod database at server1 and want to clone through RMAN to server2. All the backups(through RMAN) is on the prod server. We are taking the hot backups at disk everyday. The file system where the backup stored is ghrms/rman/backup/ at my prod server.
Now I want to make a clone of my prod db to server2 using the above mentioned backups. Whenever I run the rman command from server2 rman cannot recognize the backup sets. I am getting the error "no valid backups". Also I configured the listener.ora at my prod db and tnsnames.ora for auxiliary instance.

The filesystem where I copied the disk backups at server2 is ghrmsqa/clone/rman/backup.

What is the procedure that rman can recognize that backup?

please help.

pokhraj
Re: Cloning database using RMAN [message #320968 is a reply to message #319839] Sat, 17 May 2008 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msmallya
Visit
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/DuplicateDatabaseUsingRMAN9i.php
for details.

Regards,

MSMallya
Re: Cloning database using RMAN [message #321078 is a reply to message #319839] Mon, 19 May 2008 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

Did you take a full backup of the database? Or after taking any backup did you add any tablespace on the source? If you have then you have to use SKIP TABLESPACE .. with DUPLICATE command otherwise no valid backup error will arise.
Re: Cloning database using RMAN [message #321165 is a reply to message #319839] Mon, 19 May 2008 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Your problem is Oracle doesn't know where the backups are located.

What version of Oracle are you using? If you are on 10g, an option would be to CATALOG the backups after you copy them to the new server. Another option would be to create a symbolic link to the files.
Re: Cloning database using RMAN [message #321200 is a reply to message #319839] Mon, 19 May 2008 07:15 Go to previous message
Rajabaskar Thangaraj
Kindly Refer the Jeff Hunter articles

http://idevelopment.info ------------> oracle -------->Rman9i (or) Rman10g.

Best Regards
RajaBaskar Thangaraj

Previous Topic: lockfile too old error -- rman archive backup with netbackup
Next Topic: Recovering the database until SCN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 10:32:36 CDT 2024