Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » error in tns connection
error in tns connection [message #317747] Sat, 03 May 2008 00:47 Go to next message
mbhavin

i am getting this error when i try to connect to rman 8.1.7.1.1
to my hrdb database which is in 9.2.x.x

i am trying to connect from command prompt
rman target sys/pwd@hrdb

error
Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.1.1 - Production

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
Re: error in tns connection [message #317749 is a reply to message #317747] Sat, 03 May 2008 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
Cause: A connection to a database or other service was requested using a connect identifier, and the connect identifier specified could not be resolved into a connect descriptor using one of the naming methods configured. For example, if the type of connect identifier used was a net service name then the net service name could not be found in a naming method repository, or the repository could not be located or reached.
Action:
- If you are using local naming (TNSNAMES.ORA file):

- Make sure that "TNSNAMES" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA)

- Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper directory and is accessible.

- Check that the net service name used as the connect identifier exists in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

- Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. Look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Errors in a TNSNAMES.ORA file may make it unusable.

- If you are using directory naming:

- Verify that "LDAP" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA).

- Verify that the LDAP directory server is up and that it is accessible.

- Verify that the net service name or database name used as the connect identifier is configured in the directory.

- Verify that the default context being used is correct by specifying a fully qualified net service name or a full LDAP DN as the connect identifier

- If you are using easy connect naming:

- Verify that "EZCONNECT" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA).

- Make sure the host, port and service name specified are correct.

- Try enclosing the connect identifier in quote marks. See the Oracle Net Services Administrators Guide or the Oracle operating system specific guide for more information on naming.

Regards
Michel
Re: error in tns connection [message #317754 is a reply to message #317749] Sat, 03 May 2008 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

checked all the thing but still problem prevails

does it make any difference if my rman client is in version 8.1.7.1.1 and my database version is in 9.2.x.x
Re: error in tns connection [message #317763 is a reply to message #317749] Sat, 03 May 2008 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

thanks for the above help

i tried the same problem and error diminished

but instead of using database name i used whole connect descriptor in the tnsname.ora

rman target sys/pwd@(
(description =
(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=nineva)(port=1383))
(connect_data=(rpc=on))
)

and it worked fine now please tell me where i might have been mistaken even my tnsname.ora is perfectly ok

please reply
Re: error in tns connection [message #317785 is a reply to message #317763] Sat, 03 May 2008 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
please tell me where i might have been mistaken even my tnsname.ora is perfectly

Are you sure? Some times it seems OK but it is not (like a "}" instead of a ")" hard to see the difference at first sight)
Are you sure you use the correct tnsnames.ora (check TNSADMIN variable, local tnsnames.ora, in /etc or /var/opt/oracle, in ?/network/admin)?
Are you sure you have no other naming methods in sqlnet.ora?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sat, 03 May 2008 09:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: error in tns connection [message #318008 is a reply to message #317785] Mon, 05 May 2008 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

still the problem exist everytime i had to use whole connect descriptor to get connected with my database or either my recovery catalog is there any solution for that... what thing i need to check so that i can come out of this problem

another thing is that after i connect to the catalog database
and create a recovery catalog i get this error

dbms_rscv package body created with compilation error

and after connection to target database not a single command work every command give me a parsing error
Re: error in tns connection [message #318021 is a reply to message #318008] Mon, 05 May 2008 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
what thing i need to check so that i can come out of this problem

All the points I mentioned and you didn't answer.

For the other errors, my telescope is broken and I can't see over your shoulder.

Regards
Michel
Re: error in tns connection [message #318148 is a reply to message #318021] Mon, 05 May 2008 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

sorry for not clearly mentioning my problem really sorry for
that

now practically describing problem is

connection to the target can be made as follow to my test database

rman target sys/pwd@test

is this will suffice? i think ok

but it give me error like
Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.1.1 - Production

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

now if i try to connect with as follow

rman target sys/pwd@test(description=(address_list=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=1##.##.##.#)(port=1521)))(connect_data=(sid=test)))

then it work fine

so it's cumbersome to type this all the time , so it's better that if i could simply write

rman target sys/pwd@test

finding solution to this problem is cumbersome as i am still a student on training and now my job is started in the same company
this child is new to this database environment , can u please help me out in this please.....
Re: error in tns connection [message #318151 is a reply to message #318148] Mon, 05 May 2008 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Michel Cadot wrote on Sat, 03 May 2008 16:31
Quote:
please tell me where i might have been mistaken even my tnsname.ora is perfectly

Are you sure? Some times it seems OK but it is not (like a "}" instead of a ")" hard to see the difference at first sight)
Are you sure you use the correct tnsnames.ora (check TNSADMIN variable, local tnsnames.ora, in /etc or /var/opt/oracle, in ?/network/admin)?
Are you sure you have no other naming methods in sqlnet.ora?

Answer all these questions.

Regards
Michel

Re: error in tns connection [message #318159 is a reply to message #318151] Mon, 05 May 2008 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

yes i check all this naming convention in sqlnet.ora and all other files as mentioned by u
Re: error in tns connection [message #318240 is a reply to message #318159] Tue, 06 May 2008 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

thanks sir my problem is solved there was some compatibiliy problem now that thing is being solved

please sir tell me if i wan't to do point in time recovery of the tablespace without shutting down the database then is it possible
????

and if it is possible then how it is possible can u please guide me through the differnt step
Re: error in tns connection [message #318245 is a reply to message #318240] Tue, 06 May 2008 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
there was some compatibiliy problem

which ones? Please share your experience with us.

Quote:
if i wan't to do point in time recovery of the tablespace without shutting down the database then is it possible

It depends on what your really want to achieve.
Point in time recovery is not a goal in itself.

Regards
Michel
Re: error in tns connection [message #318596 is a reply to message #318245] Wed, 07 May 2008 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

sir my rman version was of 8.1.7.1.1 and database version was 9.2.0.4 which seems to me as a problem as i switched to rman 9.2.0.4 my problem was solved now i can keep myself busy with the backup and recovery

thanks sir for all your help

and another problem now i created two user bhavin and malvika on my test database

now when i tried to drop both of this user but it had taken up more than hour so i had to stop that abnormally

now when i try to drop that user again i get the message
'can not drop currently connected user'

but i can not see any information of the user in v$session

finally getting frustrated i shutdown database and restarted database and dropped that user

but this is not the optimal solution , i wan't to drop such user without shutting down my database

is there is any solution for that, please help me out in this
sir

Re: error in tns connection [message #318603 is a reply to message #318596] Wed, 07 May 2008 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Dropping a user lead to a multiple a internal small transactions.
Aborting in the middle may in inconsistencies in memory structures. And it seems you are in this case.
I don't see no other way than to restart the database to solve this.

Regards
Michel
Re: error in tns connection [message #318605 is a reply to message #318603] Wed, 07 May 2008 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

there should be some way out of this , i don't think shutdown is better option , as at present i am working on test database it's ok but what when i will start working on production database in a few month

and let it be my next query is i wan't to backup only tables and also wan't to restore using rman , is it possible ?
Re: error in tns connection [message #318609 is a reply to message #318605] Wed, 07 May 2008 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbhavin

at the time of manual creation of the database i am getting this error ora-16032: parameter log_archive_dest_1 destination string cannot be translated
ora-07286:sksagdi:cannot obtain device information.
linux error:2: no such file or directory
Re: error in tns connection [message #318614 is a reply to message #318605] Wed, 07 May 2008 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Start a topic per question.
This one begins to be a real mess unusable for anyone else.
What is the relation between "error in tns connection", drop user, backup tables, error in database creation, "no such file or directory", tablespace recovery...

Regards
Michel
Re: error in tns connection [message #318620 is a reply to message #318614] Wed, 07 May 2008 06:00 Go to previous message
mbhavin

i am new to this forum usage so sorry for not describing the correct format ok ,

i thought i can ask any queries that i came accross
Previous Topic: How to discover DBID having RMAN backup files
Next Topic: Restore database problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 11:15:51 CDT 2024