Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Re-install Oracle software, retaining same ASM database. (Oracle RDBMS 10g, Linux)
Re-install Oracle software, retaining same ASM database. [message #317738] Fri, 02 May 2008 20:31 Go to next message
dariakon
This is in an Linux environment.

On an Oracle ASM standalone database if I do the following :

1 shutdown immediate (Oracle and ASM)

2 de-install the Oracle Software, save a copy of the spfile/pfile and password files, including those of ASM's.

3 re-install the Oracle software on the same box, skip the Create DB step.

4 Copy the saved spfile/pfile and password files to the proper location in newly installed Oracle software

5 Q1. At this point would I be able to Startup the ASM and Oracle database that was shutdown earlier ?

Q2. Are there any O/S registries that one needs to set also like those in Windows environment (ORADIM) ?

Q3. What about the DBID ? Any changes required in that ?

Q4. What are the ASM config files that I need to save along with the spfile/pfile and password files of the database ?

Thank you
Re: Re-install Oracle software, retaining same ASM database. [message #317899 is a reply to message #317738] Sun, 04 May 2008 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
email.sandeepnaik
Are you deinstalling oracle binaries for ASM as well databases? (provided they are separate)?
Sandeep
Re: Re-install Oracle software, retaining same ASM database. [message #318116 is a reply to message #317899] Mon, 05 May 2008 14:18 Go to previous message
dariakon
Hi Sandeep

Yes, I shall de-install the ASM software/binaries too, whether ASM and Oracle Home are same or different.

Basically, I want to leave the database (and its ASM configs) intact, and re-install all the binaries and be able to startup the ASM and the database.

Our ASM database resides on a storage array. The Oracle and ASM Home binaries on a local server. In our case, we want to rebuild the local server (without touching the database).

I have done this before in a Windows environment, non-ASM.

I know one can use RMAN backup and restore, but I do not want to go through that route.

Thanks

Previous Topic: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter
Next Topic: point-in-time-recovery question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 13:13:56 CDT 2024