Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter (Oracle 10g)
Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317557] Thu, 01 May 2008 23:03 Go to next message
shilpa.rajput

Hi All,

Currently we are facing some issues related to the deletion of archive logs at flashback recovery destination.
It's a 10g database is on Windows.
Earlier the db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter was set to be of few GBs, but some days before, it was showing the space unavailable , i.e 100% utilization of the above mentioned size along with ORA-19815 error.
I've increased the file of "db_recovery_file_dest_size " parameter , as a temporary solution.

As per the searches made, I found that manual deletion of these archive files doesn't have any effect of the above parameter size. ( I was convinced as already had more than 100 GB space free on the drive, still it was recognizing on few GB space specified in the above parameter)
Even the searches said ,these files can be deleted by using RMAN.
Is it the only way? or is there any other way to deal with deletion of these archive files?

Regards,
Shilpa

Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317635 is a reply to message #317557] Fri, 02 May 2008 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NandKumar
Shilpa, You can query v$flash_recovery_area_usage to get an exact percentage of space used.

Oracle automatically deletes files from db_recovery_file_dest location when they are obsolete or duplicate copies. The RMAN command delete obsolete can be used to delete these files.

Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317881 is a reply to message #317635] Sun, 04 May 2008 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shilpa.rajput

Thanks Nandkumar, for the attaining the question & the prompt reply!

Actually, the error itself specified the percentage of the space occupied, which was 100% and led to db hangup.

The things worked smoothly once I increased the size of the parameter and now the used percentage is less than 50 (This refects in alert log, as well). Even we worked out on checking some other aspects related to fast log switches, so for the time being things are under control, the only thing I wonder and my basic question, is - Using RMAN is the only way to delete the archive log files or what? As I'm pretty sure manual deletion of files isnt recognized by Oracle.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Shilpa

[Updated on: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317882 is a reply to message #317557] Sun, 04 May 2008 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
RMAN could only delete backups and nothing else.

I too had this problem.I was constantly getting the messagges in the alert log files:
unable to archive.
no archivelog destination available.
I manually deleted the archive log files but nothing seems to happen.
So i restarted my database and everything worked fine after that.
Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317883 is a reply to message #317557] Sun, 04 May 2008 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shilpa.rajput

Thanks Varu for sharing this.

Well, I've worked on RMAN. Quite familiar with all the related details. The problem here, is RMAN isn't implemented and even no plans to implement that as it's one of the small databases we support.
That's the reason , I need to hv an alternate way for archive log files deletion.
Meanwhile, I just wonder how things settled after restarting the db in your case. but definitely good (Afterall, that's what we always look for Smile )

Regards,
Shilpa
Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317901 is a reply to message #317883] Sun, 04 May 2008 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
If you are "managing" these archive logs manually, then the easiest way is to generate a script that deletes the archive logs you know are no longer needed and simply issuing the following commands in RMAN:

C:\>  rman target /
RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all;
RMAN> delete noprompt expired archivelog all;

You don't have to be utilizing RMAN for backups to run these commands.
Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317910 is a reply to message #317901] Sun, 04 May 2008 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shilpa.rajput

Thanks ebrian,

This definitely has solved the purpose Razz
& even made me to get closer to RMAN conceptually.

Thanks a ton!!

Regards,
Shilpa
Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #317946 is a reply to message #317557] Mon, 05 May 2008 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

RMAN could only delete backups and nothing else.

Rman can delete also archived redo log file.
Re: Dealing with db_recovery_file_dest_size parameter [message #318066 is a reply to message #317557] Mon, 05 May 2008 09:01 Go to previous message
varu123
Yes you are right
My bad again Mad
Previous Topic: I am new to db administration. I don't understand how's Oracle database backuped to tape
Next Topic: Re-install Oracle software, retaining same ASM database.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 15:27:26 CDT 2024