Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Shut down immediate is taking too much time (10g reales 1, HPUX)
Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314521] Thu, 17 April 2008 01:05 Go to next message
MELAKU
Dear experts,

My databse is serving one of the Bank working here in my country. We always take cold backup at the end of the day by SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE command. My question is that in SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE sometimes it takes few minutes like 1 to 5 minutes and in many case it takes 45 to 60 minutes. Why do you think the reason is? Do we have a mechanism that we can tune so that the SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is fast? I need your usual cooperation.

Melaku K.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314525 is a reply to message #314521] Thu, 17 April 2008 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
shutdown immediate rollsback all the uncommitted transactions.
So it takes time but i don't understand why it is called "immediate".
There is nothing immediate about it.

If it takes a lot of time then from another session,issue shutdown abort.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314526 is a reply to message #314521] Thu, 17 April 2008 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Database Administrator's Guide
3 Starting Up and Shutting Down
Section Shutting Down a Database

Regards
Michel
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314619 is a reply to message #314526] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi Michel,

I think my question is not clear to you. I didn't ask about the type of shutdown options and their meanings. All are clear. My problem is that when I use SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE, sometimes the time it is taking is very short and another time too long. For instance if I shutdown my database and restart and next do again SHUTDOWN IMMEDIAT, it is taking too much time upto 45 minutes or sometimes more. Why is this? What is the logic behind it? That was my question.

Regards,

Melaku K.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314634 is a reply to message #314619] Thu, 17 April 2008 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Carefully read the link I posted, it explains why.

Regards
Michel
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314681 is a reply to message #314634] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Hi Michel,

I have seen the text which I know before from the link. Here is the text:
"Any uncommitted transactions are rolled back. (If long uncommitted transactions exist, this method of shutdown might not complete quickly, despite its name.)"

But, why it is taking too much time for a database which has been SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE, RESTART and again SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. At least the second SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE has to be completed fast. What is the reason for the database to take time for the case where there are no many (or zero) uncommitted transactions ??

Regards,

Melaku K.

Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314684 is a reply to message #314521] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
SHUTDOWN ABORT -- can be MUCH faster & has same results
The difference is that uncommitted transactions will be rolled back upon startup, while allowing other sessions to proceed.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314685 is a reply to message #314681] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biswas_tt
you can issue

alter system switch logfile command 2-3 times before shutdown immediate.

Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314691 is a reply to message #314684] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Dear Anacedent,

I know shutdown abort is faster. But, I can not do that because I have to do shutdown immediate for doing different purposes like to take cold back up and so on. My question here is that if shutdown immediate is taking too much time because of uncommitted transactions roll back, why it is so slow again after several times shutdown immediate. There must be other steps that the database does during shutdown immediate. I need those activities that the database does during shutdown immediate.

Regards,
Melaku K.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314695 is a reply to message #314685] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
alter system switch logfile command 2-3 times before shutdown immediate.

What in the heck is the rationale behind this?

Regards
Michel
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314696 is a reply to message #314691] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I need those activities that the database does during shutdown immediate.

Once again read the link I posted.

Regards
Michel
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314969 is a reply to message #314521] Fri, 18 April 2008 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>What in the heck is the rationale behind this?
This is based upon the (ir)rational that if a command does not work the 1st time, then repeating might produce different results the 2nd or 3rd time.

Or it is an example of

Redundancy is the best way to teach idiots.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314984 is a reply to message #314969] Fri, 18 April 2008 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Or it is an example of

Hmm, I always asked myself if this works.
Maybe the same way than "alter system switch logfile 2-3 times"
Laughing

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2008 08:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314994 is a reply to message #314984] Fri, 18 April 2008 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MELAKU
Oh, Michel and Anacedants
I think we need to be polite in responding. It is better not to help people than insulting. For the question that I logged, someone has proposed a solution (i.e. logswitch 2-3 times). This is what the person believes. It is upto the person who loged that to take the suggestion. It is not good to talk like this.

But, I realy appreciate the support of you two experts that you made to all of us. However, I didn't get appropriate answer for the question that I raised. I checked the link that Michel gave me but doesn't justify/ answers why SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is not fast when there are no transactions committed/ uncommited. Any way thank you.
Melaku K.
Re: Shut down immediate is taking too much time [message #314999 is a reply to message #314521] Fri, 18 April 2008 09:08 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>why SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE is not fast when there are no transactions committed/ uncommited.
What eveidence to you have to support the contention that about transactions?

On both V10 & more so on V11 Oracle is doing a bunch of work in the "background"; all of which execution transactions.

If you want to see the gory details, use LOGMINER to observe all the changes (DML) occurring within the instance.
Previous Topic: HOW TO GET THE EXPDAT.DMP FILE
Next Topic: RMAN job completed with warnings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:17:41 CDT 2024